Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Call

My favorite question on the Exploration Scholarship Application was: 'Please talk briefly about what your call to ministry is at this point in your life.' It gave you three lines after that. Well, goodness, you're talking to the queen of scholarship application essays here. Three lines, my friends, is simply not enough. So, in my slight annoyance, I ran through several possibilities:


~Wait, you mean I'm supposed to feel 'called'? Well, darn.

~I don't really understand my 'call' at this point in my life. That's why I'm coming.

~To be or not to be, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler...

~You know, God really hasn't answered my voicemails in a while...

~It began on a dark, starry night.-- This section of the publication you are reading has been edited due to space constraints.-- So that's why I want to be a pastor.

~I give into peer pressure really easily. People tell me I should do this, so I do. Is that a good enough answer?

~See, this calling thing, I'm not a fan of it. It's rather unclear, isn't it? It doesn't really seem fair, does it? I mean, isn't God calling everyone? This is an excessively personal question. Do I have the right not to answer?

~Have you ever heard the verse 'Many are called, but few are chosen'? I'm one of the chosen ones. Be excited about me.

~I hear the church is hiring. In the present economy, no job outlet should remain unconsidered.

~It's a little complicated between God and me right now. Maybe you'd have better luck asking Him what I'm supposed to be doing? He seems to think I don't listen. I don't see where He gets that from. We talk all the time. He's just not loud enough. I mean, it's only a burning bush- He could do that for me. What makes Moses so special, that he gets all the VIP treatment?

~Would you believe there was an angel involved?


My real answer was a lot less amusing. Just thought I'd throw these out there, in case anyone had any better suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment