Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Under This Willow Tree

Hi. Hi. Hey. Hello.

Hi.

Hey, listen, you wouldn't happen to be my long-dead love, would you? Only I've been looking and I'm afraid my love's face may have changed and that I won't recognize any of the features anymore. They say that you'll know them by their eyes, you know, when you lose your love and find them again, but I don't know if that's true. Before, before the death, my love's eyes were these grey-green blue eyes that changed with the weather and it was like a new person every time a cloud floated by. Always exciting.

My eyes are the bark of a pine tree at Christmas. That's what my love used to say. Hey, would you mind speaking? They say that recently blinded people know their loved ones by their voices even just hours after their sight's been taken, so maybe I'll hear something of my love's voice in yours. It was this booming voice, sometimes, when ghost stories were being told or dragons imitated. You could rest your head on that voice and let the quiet rumble rock your soul. Not always, but when my love spoke to me, because I was loved, the rumble was always there for me.

Could you maybe say my name, just so I can check? I'm-

Yes, that's it. I must have already introduced-? Well, it's nice to meet you again.

No, you know, it's fine. I mean, there was never any guarantee that my love would be here in the first place. They say that when you come back, you're drawn to the places that meant something to you, and we... well, we had our first kiss under this willow tree. It was the edge of summer, and the fireflies and the stars were out and my love leaned forward and kissed me once, just gently.

Of course, we have years of memories after that, and any one of a hundred places we could have picked to return to, but I figured, if I wanted to start again, I'd start here. Plus, we can't really meet at our house- I sold it after the accident. Do you live around here?

So you heard about the fire?

Yeah, I don't think I was very safe for a few weeks there, or months. Honestly, I was probably more flammable than the average human, if you know what I mean.

Ah, that wind. It's a little bit of a chill, but, oh, I can just imagine my love's arms around me. Isn't it funny how that happens? It's, like, an extra warmth around your shoulders and, just, this feeling of contentment. My love had these big, strong arms...

Landscaping, actually, and then working with a moving company on the weekends. The mowers had these hand grips and they really work your forearms, and then, of course, moving boxes and all those things... I mean, no offense. You look like you work out. But my love used to lift me up in the air, no problem, and as you can see, I'm pretty substantial.

Oh, thank you! That's kind of you to say. Since I've been alone, I've had extra time to focus on me, so I am a little more in shape than I've been in the past.

Sorry, I didn't mean to stare. It's just.... it's funny, the things you notice. Your nose, it has a bump just like my love's. It's the wrong color, of course, but it's uncanny how similar the shape is. I used to tease all the time, saying that there must have been an early drop by a distracted mama, because I would have sworn that was a break bump.

Was yours-? Not to get too personal.

Ah, yeah, it was actually a family nose too- you could trace the family tree back and back and back and in all of their wedding pictures, they had that same nose. There was some relative that was really into genealogy, so we had a wall of photos leading up to our picture.

June fifth, yeah. Oh, it was a gorgeous day. I mean, most summer weddings, they're either hot or rainy, but we got married at sunset and everything cooled as the sky switched colors. It was lovely, just perfect. Like today. I'm glad you got to have this lovely night out here and I hope I haven't intruded too much.

Hah, no, you're right. I should probably go too. It was lovely talking to you. No, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to run you off...

A ride would be great, actually. It's not too far from here- at the bottom of that hill a few streets over. Oh, you're a hero. Thanks so very much!

So, tell me about you. I know, you don't know me at all, but I did just bare my soul, so there's not much else to say from my end.

What a nice car! My love cared about cars as well. Oh, but, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt. Her favorite color is purple, so you were thinking irises?

Oh, the gate freaks everyone out. It's so imposing. But it was here when I bought the place and I haven't had much time...

Yes, just over that ridge. Exactly.

Hey, listen, would you mind walking me to my door? I think the moon set early tonight. It's usually so easy to see. You have a light, right? Just past these stones here. Yup, this is me. Thanks so much- it's good to feel safe as you go, you know? Do you think you could find your way out again? Just a left at the end of the row, then about a quarter of a mile- exactly.

What was that?

Yes- that... that was my love's name. First, last, and middle.

Yes, we did have the same birthday- a year apart, to the hour, isn't that funny? But how did you-?

Oh, I see. I see. Wow.

Well, thanks for the ride anyway.

No, now that I think about it, the ground isn't cold at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment