Friday, May 22, 2009

Not to Be Taken Entirely Seriously

Dear Mr. Wickham,

I wish very much to understand the nature of your feelings toward me, almost as much as I desire to understand mine towards you. Obviously, I have some problem with you, considering that I decided to call you Mr. Wickham and not any other character in a Jane Austen novel, but at the same time, I apparently care for you on some level because Elizabeth is originally taken in by Mr. Wickham. The point is, you fit the mold for the character and I would like you to say away from our version of Lydia, though I think the only breaking that would happen in this situation is her heart.
I don't understand why you put up with her. I rather hate that you once grouped me in the same category a her, but I should understand that this is probably the way you treat all women. From what I hear, you are quite the ladies' man. I can believe it. You took someone who was fresh off a heartbreak and quite set on believing that all men were terrible manipulators and made her quite enchanted. I'm not even sure how you did it. I think it was the fact that I was sure I had seen you before or maybe it was your behavior as we first met. I do know what made me suspicious about you. I think we ate lunch together twice last summer and the second time I had stopped to bow my head and say my quick lunch blessing as I was wont to do. I looked up and you had bowed your head as well. I was sure you were a lying jerk and was convinced that you were not worth the having. Well, congratulations, despite this you still fascinate me, but I'm much more cautious around you, as Lydia should be too.
I wish I could get inside your head for just a moment and have a good look around. I want to see exactly what your relationship with God is and who you are. I want to see what your intentions are toward Lydia, if you've just taken her on as a pity case or if you genuinely care about her. I'm sure it's nothing more sinister- if you had any passing desires, you could satisfy them with the wonderful girls you've dated recently. She's quite taken with you, you know. No matter what she says, I can hear her using some of the evasion that I use when talking about you. She's being lead on by you and I think it's time for you to take the responsibility in the friendship and become more distant. She'll find someone else to cling to and, believe me, if you don't get out now, you may never be able to free yourself.
As for me, I never intended to give anyone the impression that I hate you and I never intended for Lydia to pass that information along. I have always been interested in determining your character and though suspicious, you have given me no solid reason to hate you. I was most disappointed upon hearing the results of Lydia's and your conversation about me- I had not wanted you prejudiced against me before I had the benefit of a closer acquaintance. However, I am willing to lay my pride by the wayside and assume that I've been wrong, if only to allay your ill-will towards me over this summer.
With best wishes for your health,
A Mr. Darcy-less Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment