Sunday, January 8, 2012

Bed

So I've been spending a lot of time in my bed recently. Not that I've been sick or anything, it's just that I've had a lighter week at work and I've been taking full advantage of the ability to be lazy, so I'll sleep in and lounge around, etc. For those of you who don't know, my bed really just consists of a mattress and then a memory foam thing and a pillow top. It's exorbitantly comfy. It's also just sitting on my floor. I find very little wrong with that. I mean, I don't need a bed frame just yet and I have slept several a comfortable night on my floor-bed. So I'm good, really.

But last night I didn't fall asleep right away and I started thinking about my bed. I mean, I really can't complain in the first place- it's a really comfortable bed. I have, like, four pillows and it's a queen sized mattress, so it's really a great bed. But it's kinda a mess. I mean, I never make it up, and I sit on it most of the time I’m doing work, so there's papers and books and computers scattered around it. And I don't love the comforter or the sheets on it. I mean, they're OK, but they're just something I had from home, you know? They're not anything I'm in love with. I do have this quilt that I took from home, though, that I am in love with. It just doesn't go with the other sheets on the bed.

And I got to thinking about my bed and I just kinda cracked. Because I can change the things I don't like about it- I have the funds and the transportation. I can have a nice bed. So I went to Target today and I bought new sheets and a new comforter and new pillow cases to go with the quilt I like. I came home and dropped them off and, after working for a couple of hours and helping out with the youth group for a couple more, I came back and made up my bed with my new sheets and cleaned my room. Look. Problem solved.

Except I didn't buy a bed frame for my mattress to sit on. That I need a little help on. I mean, I don't have a box spring, so I'd have to either buy one of those or get a platform bed and I think I'd have to drive to Ikea or somewhere for that and even if I got a used bed, I wouldn't really know if it was good or not, so I'd need some advice on that from someone who knows about beds or someone who's bought a bed before. And that's the fundamental thing wrong with my bed, you know, is that it's currently just a mattress on the ground. It's in the wrong place. And, I mean, it's fine and I can sleep there for now, but eventually, I want a bed. A real bed. A real, respectable bed. And I like that when I do get one, it'll be one that I've paid for, one that I've worked for.

And you know, there's always that hopeful, winking thought that says, One day, you'll have a new bed that you're sharing with someone. But I don't need that yet. I mean, it'd be nice, of course, but for right now, I still think I have plenty of time before that happens. I haven't even bought my own bed yet, not really. I know I've been sleeping alone for twenty-three years, but I'm sure I'd be fine for a couple more. I do kinda love my personal space, so I'd really have to find a worthwhile reason to give that up.

So, to summarize, I'm now happy with the state of my bed and I'm going to try to make it up more often. After all, if you want to keep your nice things nice, you have to maintain them. And I do have plans for future improvements, it's just that I have to wait until I know what I need and where I have to go to get it, and then I'll be able to save up for it. Then I'll move it to the right place, where it's supposed to be, and we'll let the future roll from there.

So yeah. That's where my life is now.

(You do realize I wasn't really talking about my bed the whole time, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment