Friday, April 9, 2010

Sisters, Stars and Smiles

This was one of those exhausting weeks that you're glad to see gone, but hate to see leave and given the chance, would live all over again. I might tweak some things, but I'd live it over again.

I worked twice this week at each job (and should have picked up tests to grade as well... hmmm...) and left the planetarium and Cold Stone tired but happy. You know, that tired that you get when you've accomplished something and that good feeling in your stomach when you know that you've done something right? It's a wonderful feeling to counter the tired feet and aching head.

I had a midterm and a problem set due on Monday. I got a different midterm back today and got an A- (can we please talk about this for a second? I'm so delighted- the only A's I've seen in my recent life have been the ones that start my name). For Monday, though, I felt semi-confident about the midterm (though if someone wants to correct my argument about Pompey's eastern tour and its military and constitutional implications, I'm happy to listen) and I know I did terribly on the problem set, but I finished it and I knew what was going on and that is something. I might have been completely lost in class after that, and the rest of the semester before that, but I can work with the Schrodinger Equation in spherical coordinates, I finally know what the Hamiltonian really stands for and I am getting to be a beast at angular momentum quantum mechanically, so take that, physics!

We polished handbells on Monday, and I played handbells on Wednesday and felt better about a lot of the things we're doing for the concert. We're playing Pictures at an Exhibition (love love love!) but the part for the bass bells is intense. I'm quite proud of myself (though Patrick worked out how most of the hard stuff would work) and my left arm is getting semi-buff because of it.

High point of the week? Tuesday night. Why Tuesday night, you may ask. Well, on Tuesday night, we at the Iota Tau chapter of Sigma Alpha Iota initiated twenty new sisters. If you've been listening to my life, you've probably heard that number before, because I say it often. I am so proud of my sisters in the chapter for forming a group of people that someone on the outside would want to be associated with, and I am so proud of the former members-in-training for having the guts to stick through all of this, to have the sisterly love required to change their schedules when necessary and just for being awesome in general. They are such a great addition to the chapter. You cannot believe how excited I am for next year. In addition to that, they played the Alma Mater on kazoos at their musicale. You don't get much more epic than that.



Speaking of my awesome sisters, we had formal at the planetarium tonight. So. Much. Fun. Before, my wonderful roommate/mermaid fixed my hair and did my makeup and we watched You've Got Mail and picked up the chocolates that littered the floor from the battle the night before. After attempting to exude confidence as I had been taught, walking in my heels up to the planetairum, I had the amazing privilege of being able to do a show in the theater for my sisters and their dates (holler praise for people who laughed at my jokes) and I loved the response. I mean, maybe it's feeding my ego, but I love it when people appreciate what you do, you know? And my boss was a fan of it as well, and very positive, and this bodes well for my future employment as a rambler in the theater at the planetarium. This makes me quite happy. You know what also makes me quite happy? Dancing to the Electric Slide (oh, camp days :D), belting out N*Sync, waking up in the morning feeling like P. Diddy (judge away, please) and attempting to remember the marching band Thriller dance and failing. Such good times.

I also had a chance to do something I've always wanted to do- conduct the marching band. It was once, for less than five minutes, but I had quiet cheers from my friends and sisters before I even climbed up on the ladder and more from my section and friends when I introduced myself. I loved being up there. I loved listening to the band playing to the beat that I was laying out (let's forget that it was absurdly slow, that I botched the transitions [thank goodness for drummers who can recover] and that my ending cutoff was a slight mess) and I loved standing on the ladder, looking out over the band. You might not be as excited as I am, but you're probably not in marching band and it probably doesn't matter much to you. And if you are and if it does, then you know what I mean. It's such a great feeling. I wish I had been a better candidate so I'd have another chance to conduct the band, but as it is, I'm perfectly happy to preserve my memory and leave the real life conducting to someone more suited.

So it's one in the morning on a Friday night and I am exhausted three ways from Sunday. The spring football game is tomorrow, I've got to have a problem set done by Monday, the new exec board is meeting on Sunday (dear sweet baby Jesus in A major, I've got a leadership position), there are books to be read and papers to be written. But I figured I'd sit back for a second and write it all down, because if you don't, you forget that life is for the alive and you'll spend your entire memory wasting away and wondering when that boy will wake up and see you as the answer to his questions. If you don't stop to think about the things you've been given, you will never have the chance to thank the Giver.

Happy resurrection life, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment